Text: Proverbs 6: 6 – 11.
Above all and before all, do this: Get Wisdom! Write this at the top of your list: Get Understanding! Proverbs 4: 7 MSG.
What is wisdom? “Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding” is a golden verse in the scriptures, which has provided motivation for numerous invaluable achievements in the lives of those who understood its true meaning; while for some, it has only remained an age-long mantra of no consequence. Meanwhile, many references in the scripture emphasize the importance of true wisdom: wisdom is better than strength (Eccl. 9: 16), better than riches (Prov. 8: 11), better than weapons of war (Eccl. 9: 18), and there are good reasons for these submissions.
The Scripture however distinguishes true wisdom from its counterfeits, such as, being crafty, dubious, or the so called “diplomacy”, sometimes actually, stylish lying. True wisdom is from above, and it is not earthly, sensual, or devilish. True wisdom multiplies strength, and in going from strength to strength the best catalyst is in increasing wisdom. Winning wisdom is a higher level of wisdom. It is winning wisdom that always lead to victory and success. It makes winning in life possible without weariness
Today, we are set to examine the meaning of true wisdom, its source, the portrait of a wise person, and carefully tread together the path to increasing wisdom, and survey the consequences of neglecting true wisdom.
Source of True Wisdom
The Scripture declares that, “If we please God, he will make us wise, understanding, and happy. But if we sin, God will make us struggle for a living, then he will give all we own to someone who pleases him. This makes no more sense than chasing the wind”, Eccl. 2: 26, showing that true wisdom comes from God.
However, there are two kinds of wisdom: one from above, and the other earthly or devil-sourced.
- Taking undue advantage of another, to cunningly deprive him/her of materials and money, deceive her for sensual pleasure, or deny him of his benefits/position are not by true wisdom but earthly, carnal and devilish schemes, and anyone so deceived is a fool, Jam. 3: 14-15.
- True wisdom is from God, and it is pure, it promotes peace, it is gentle and merciful, Jam. 3:17
Portraits of Winning Wisdom
What do you see in a truly wise person, and what has the Scripture to say about each attribute? True and winning wisdom is characterized by:
- Timely preparations: To everything there is a season, a time to every purpose under heaven. Winning wisdom identifies the proper timing, and works towards it, proactively. Eccl 3: 1, Prov. 6: 7-8.
- Soft answer: Winning Wisdom does not nag, but speaks gracefully, and it is often quiet, but a fool utters all his/her mind, Prov. 15:1-2, 29:11. 17: 28, e.g. Abigail in I Sam. 25.
- Organized Lifestyle: A person desirous of winning in life is organized, in daily activities, in timely accomplishments, as the Lord gives him inspiration, Prov. 16: 1. Remember Jesus’ parables on planning, e.g. building a house, taking a city, etc.
- Well-Focused: Whatever you do with excellence distinguishes you as a skilled worker, and the result is the opportunity to stand out above your companions (Prov. 22: 29). Like Paul, winning wisdom defines “One Thing”, and works hard at it, to become the best you can be!
- Plans with the End in View: Winning wisdom starts out thinking about the end of the matter, or putting few years ahead in mind. Eccl. 9: 10.
How to Grow in Winning Wisdom
- The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, Prov. 9: 10, Psa. 111: 10.
- Depart from evil and evil persons, Job. 28: 28, Prov. 1: 10.
- Wisdom is a communal spirit, Prov. 13: 20. He who keeps company with the wise …
Tragedy of Neglecting Wisdom
Jesus Christ is Wisdom personified (I Cor. 1: 24), and rejecting Him has serious consequences:
- Lack of discretion, doing and enjoying foolish things, Rom. 1: 28
- Unnecessary hardship in life, and apparent rejection by God, Prov. 1: 20, 22, 24.
CLOSING: Will you embrace the Winning Wisdom of God? Jam. 1: 5 says, if any of you lacks wisdom
Let us pray