HONOURING GOD IN YOUR MARRIAGE
By Odun Orioke
There is a God that made the heavens and the earth
According to my bible, only fools say “There is no God.” They are corrupt, they do abominable deeds; there is none who does good. – Psalm 14:1; 53:1.
The Lord, God that made the heaven and the earth is a wonderful God who deserves great honour from all his creatures.
He is all-knowing, all-mighty and present everywhere. He is very loving and caring.
He leads and guides
He changes lives. He changed mine 45 years ago. He gave me a new heart and made my thinking to be right before him. He has continued to renew my heart and life to make me to become more and more like Jesus.
A lady called Hannah had primary infertility for years. Her husband went to take another wife who started to have babies without any delay. Hannah cried to her husband to give her a child. When He couldn’t, she turned to God in persistent prayers. When she had her miracle child, she in praises to God said the following about God-
“The bows of the mighty are broken, but the feeble bind on strength. Those who were full have hired themselves out for bread, but those who were hungry have ceased to hunger. The barren has borne seven, but she who has many children is forlorn. The LORD kills and brings to life; He can brings down to Sheol and raises up.”
“The LORD makes poor and makes rich; He brings low and He exalts. He raises up the poor from the dust; He lifts the needy from the ash heap to make them sit with princes and inherit a seat of honor. For the pillars of the earth are the LORD’s, and on them he has set the world.” – 1 Samuel 2:4-8
He is the Lord God who is able to-
Make the poor rich, and rich poor,
Make the unlucky to become lucky
Make childless couples to become mothers and fathers of children
Make the down trodden to be highly honoured
Turn hopeless state to promising state
Restore broken marriages to happy marriages
Look at what happens when people deny God in their hearts or lives;
For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. – Romans 1:21
They become possessed with evil spirits that make them do unimaginable and silly things.
It pays to honour God
Therefore the LORD, the God of Israel, declares: ‘I promised that your house and the house of your father should go in and out before me forever,’ but now the LORD declares: ‘Far be it from me, for those who honor me I will honor, and those who despise me shall be lightly esteemed. – 1 Samuel 2:30
9 Honor the LORD with your wealth and with the firstfruits of all your produce;
10 then your barns will be filled with plenty, and your vats will be bursting with wine. –
When you honour God, He will in return honour you.
How God honours people
It is a great thing to be honoured by human beings especially the well placed people. Imagine the Governor of your state deciding to send his deputy to represent him in your wedding or your ceremony. You will be highly honoured. It is a far greater thing to be honoured by God.
God honours people in many ways. Examples are
1. Putting you and your home in a special place in His mind.
2. Granting you wisdom and guidance that will help you to- know how to be at peace with your spouse at all times; avoid mistakes that could have serious consequences on your marriage; conduct the affairs of your home in ways that will make your marriage become very strong and unbreakable all your life and be outstanding in many respects to His glory.
3. Granting you power or supernatural abilities to resist and overcome all forces that array themselves against the success and happiness of your home. In this way, you are able to overcome temptations to cheat on your spouse and be unfaithful to him or her. You are also able to restrain yourself from inappropriate expression of anger.
4. Granting you power to succeed in everything you do just like Joseph.
5. Blessing your children and making them sources of joy to you.
Ways to honour God
Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.
Be not wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD, and turn away from evil. It will be healing to your flesh and refreshment to your bones.
1. Dedicate your marriage to God
Make it belong to God
Be determined that God will be glorified in your marriage
2. Obey every word of God on marriage and home affairs.
One of the great ways of honouring God is to obey His words. Look them up in the Bible.Thats is, all God says about marriage and home. Go through them regularly until they become part of you. Obey them to the letter.
3. Depend on Him, have faith in Him and accept His grace to help you to keep the vows you made before God and before the great number of witnesses
4. Involve God in every issue in your marriage.
When you make God to be very important to the success of your marriage and you involve him in every details of your marital affairs by prayer and fasting, it shows that you honour God.
Pray that He gives you wisdom in running the affairs of your home. You can have a day in the week when you add fasting to your prayers.
5. Do everything in the fear of God. The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom. When you do your best to please God in your relationship with your spouse, you are actually honouring God in your marriage and He will surely honour you in return.
6. Use the word of God as the yardstick for everything in your home. The word is Light. It will illuminate your heart and home.
7. Honour your spouse.
How to honour your spouse:
a. Exercise trust.
Mistrust and undue suspicion are toxic or poisonous to marital wellbeing. Give one another a very reasonable degree of freedom and trust. It should be mentioned too that suspicious activities, movements, telephone calls, text messages and associations too must be avoided. They are detrimental to the health of your marriage.
b. Listening: Always listen to your spouse attentively. Control all tendencies to chime in i.e. Pressures to break suddenly into conversations and interrupt.
c. Use Even, polished and cultured words in your home. A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in a setting of silver- (Psalm 25:11). This word from the scriptures show that it is honorable and profitable to address your spouse carefully and courteously.
With patience a ruler may be persuaded, and a soft tongue will break a bone- (Psalm 25:15)
d. Due considerations. Do your best to always give very careful and thoughtful contemplation, deliberation and attention to the concerns of your spouse. Avoid dismissing her concerns with a wave of the hand as being unimportant.
e. Seek the advice of your spouse on issues.
f. Show appreciation for all expressed opinions.
g. Protect the interests, rights and privileges of your spouse always.
h. Patience. Being patient with your spouse is an act of love and respect.
i. In honour to your spouse, please avoid the following: